Allergy tips for eating out this holiday season
Now that the height of the holiday season is upon us & the schools have broken up many people are either taking a holiday in the UK or abroad or planning more meals out than normal. Sunshine, warmth & an upbeat mood make this all the more likely. However, it is important to sound a firm note of caution when eating out especially if you are susceptible to allergies & food intolerance.
Here are a few tips for dining out if you suffer from allergies.
- Do the research. Know exactly what you‚Äôre walking into so there are no surprises.
- Choose simple items on the menu ‚Äì without sauces, no casseroles or crusted-over desserts ‚Äì unless you absolutely, positively know what‚Äôs in them.
- Develop good relationships with a few local restaurants/chefs who know you, understand your allergies and sensitivities, and happily accommodate you. Frequent those places.
- Always speak up about your food issues (firmly, pleasantly) so the chef, manager, and wait staff understand your dietary needs.
- Don‚Äôt be afraid to ask questions.
- And don‚Äôt be afraid to leave if you‚Äôre not comfortable.
- When a restaurant treats you well, always say ‚Äúthank you‚Äù ‚Äì and then tell your friends.